It certainly takes a little planning to keep up this way of life, which I think is a good reason to really clean out the cupboards and fridge, and find some stock of easily fixed stuff!! However, there are a few things we've discovered in the last couple of weeks that worked well for us.
The first was to prepare our greens (wash and chop) when we get home with them, and have them in a gladware ready to go. Grab a handful and put in a bowl for breakfast or lunch, add other stuff, and viola! Nutrient dense food! We bought an excellent lettuce spinner that helps a lot for the lettuce, and while it does get lots of moisture off, another thing we do is layer paper towels on top of the gladware, then store it upside down in the fridge, and remove the now damp paper towels when we open it. Seems to work good for keeping it from turning slimy.
Another thing we have done is freeze patties, beans, etc., which makes for quick meal-prep.
That was a very short paragraph, but I have nothing more to say about that. I do want to talk about pizza though. I made a really yummy one this past weekend, and the particularly surprising thing was that I started so late in the evening I knew I wouldn't have time for a yeast crust. I found a recipe online for a crust that worked well - 2 C flour, 1 Tbs baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt and 2/3 C water. WHOLE WHEAT (or other grain) flour folks, of course!!! If I say flour, you can assume I mean stuff with all the goodies intact. Because it's usually gonna soak up more water, plan on adding water. Anyway, this makes kind of like a biscuit crust, which used to be a popular dinner for us. I'm still looking for a term other than "pizza" though, because there is NO cheese, and certainly none of that pressed-oil crap that they call cheese, some of which contains Casein, which is what you want to avoid in the first place!!! Anyway...tomato sauce, herbs, veggies that have been sauteed - I think I had onions, garlic, mushrooms this time, then topped with slices of fresh zucchini, tomatoes, AND...the best part.....pineapple!! Trader Joe's has pineapple chunks FROZEN - so you don't have to open a can, only use part, and forget about the rest when it gets shoved to the back of the fridge.
I also learned that pineapple juice, golden raisins, and a few finely chopped nuts makes a good salad in the morning!! You need something else for staying power, but I was glad to find that this was a nice sweet salad for breakfast. I'm eating stranger things for breakfast these days, but am not quite ready for a vinaigrette in the morning.
Oooh...Eric just showed me a link on engine2diet.com's 'daily beet' http://engine2diet.com/the-daily-beet/simple-guide-to-plant-strong-burgers/ which gives a formula for making patties - which gives you lots of possibilities in the end! Might have to try one this weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave me a message or question!