Wednesday, December 28, 2011

In the beginning....

I've been known for my sweet tooth, and my abilities to scout out deals of after-holiday candy sales, as well as the ability to bake sweets that'll make your eyes sweat.  I come by this quite honestly, as my grandmothers were big cookie-makers, and my grandfather even had 'cookie break' once or twice a day!  Cookies, preferably soft with chocolate, are my favorite food of all time.  I believe chocolate chip cookies have a spiritual quality.  That being said, we've been trying to lose some weight around here, and trying to eat healthier.  I started toying with a few meat-free dishes, and even went so far as to suggest we go meatless for a month.  This, I said, to my husband who when looking into a pan of stir fry, would predictably ask "Is there meat in that?"  So, it was sort of a tongue-in-cheek suggestion, although I knew if challenged, I might actually get serious about it.
It was probably only a month after that conversation (which was just that - we didn't actually try it), my husband began reading The China Study by Tom Campbell.  In my world, it was about a one-week span of time between my husband starting to research healthier eating, and being informed that he wanted to go whole-foods, plant-based.....no meat, dairy, oil, sugar, and limited salt.  HOLY COW.  Ummm ok.  I'm game.  Although I'll admit to not going so far so fast, but I did quickly catch up.  Is this a mid-life crisis? If so, I'll take it - way better than a sports car and mistress any day!  Gee - my hubby decided he wants to live a long and healthy life.... guess I better do the same so I can keep him out of trouble!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you and I'm inspired to get back on this journey as well! Tomorrow I'll be starting a 10 day detox of sorts. I'm getting rid of all the processed junk again! I've found the plant based whole foods diet to optimal. I can live without meat. . . But I do enjoy eggs and fish so I may have to incorporate those into my plan. I want to add the Engine 2 and Happy Herbivore books to my library! I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lori! You are a big inspiration....exercise and diet wise, among other things!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message or question!